Friday, January 30, 2009

Daring Bakers January Challenge -- Tuiles

This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.


This months challenge asked us to bake Tuiles. I had never really seen these before. They are cookies that are shaped or rolled. In addition, we were to pair the cookies with a mousse or pudding, or something similar.


I used the basic Tuiles recipe presented, which was
taken from a book called “The Chocolate Book”, written by female Dutch Master chef Angélique Schmeinck. (The recipe actually makes a butter cookie, not a chocolate cookie.) It was easy to convert to gluten free -- I just used Better Batter flour instead of the all purpose flour. I shaped the cookies into little cups, but pressing the warm cookies inside of a muffin tin when they came out of the oven.

For filling, I made a simple white chocolate mousse, using a recipe posted a the Cooking by the Seat of my Pants blog. I substituted a bit of vanilla for the liquer called for by the recipe. It was super simple, and really good. I then filled the cups with the mousse.

Would I make it again? Maybe. Shaping the tuiles was a little too finicky for me. However, the combination of the crispy cookie and the creamy mousse was quite delicious.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Great job converting your tuiles to gluten-free. My husband and son are gluten and dairy-free but I didn't convert the recipe this time...I made them while they weren't home :) They sound delicious with your choclolate mousse. BTW ...just saw your post about the gluten-free pizza...thanks for that. We live in Boston area so we will be excited so excited to check that out. Thanks for the heads up!!! Happy baking!

trishtator said...

I'm with you that shaping the tuiles was quite the challenge. I struggled a bit too. The white chocolate mousse sounds delightful. I love your gluten free treats!

Diana said...

Shaping was rather finicky. I didn't think I'd make them again, but a week later I did. It was much easier, and I only did 1/2 the recipe.

A teen and her family's experiences living gluten-free.