Sunday, January 13, 2008

Easy gluten free cheese straws


We've decided to try adding photos to the blog, but are having a few technical difficulties. Anyway if you crane your neck, you can see a photo of some gf cheese straws that we made today. These were incredibly easy -- a combination of gf flour, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, black pepper, water and olive oil. The recipe is from the September 2007 issue of Cooking Light magazine, and is called Pecorino-Black Pepper Breadsticks. To me, they seem more like cheese straws than breadsticks. I followed the recipe ingredients and instructions pretty much as written, although I substituted gluten free flour for the regular flour called for in the recipe (remember to add xanthum gum as well, if your flour mix doesn't include it already) and used Parmesan instead of Romano. I couldn't quite get the breadsticks to roll out, so instead I shaped an 8inch long rectangle on my cutting board, and sliced thin strips with a knife. I moved each strip to a parchment covered baking pan and baked. That's it!

4 comments:

Cassandra said...

They look scrumptious!

Allergic Girl® said...

nice cheese "bread "sticks and i kinda like them sideways... ;-)

Mike Eberhart said...

Cheese straws sure sound good to me right now. Here I am reading the latest GF blogs instead of baking - taking a break - but, now feeling inspired to create a snack :)

Lucia said...

Hi, Debora B.'s friend here again (see chocolate lava cake comment), thanking you for the idea of cheese straws for my gluten-free guest. I used my usual recipe, "Simplest Cheese Straws" from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. I used 365 Gluten-Free Baking Mix instead of wheat flour and my guest was thrilled with the result. Thanks!

A teen and her family's experiences living gluten-free.